Cons: I was overcharged
Car in dangerously poor condition
No customer service
REFUND WAS DENIED, MANAGER HIDES FROM CUSTOMERS
21 Sep 2016
Good staff, need to improve fleet and modernize pa
Pros: Friendly staff, very attent to solve any problem
Cons: Upon arrival, my US credit card ( with chip) was not accepted because they wanted to use some old machine to get a voucher by 3000 USD!... they need to modernize their payment methods. Also Kayak offers a insurance with Allianz that is not accepted by Thrifty!!! So why do they made me pay 99 Usd that are useless !
23 Dec 2016
They try to scam you
Pros: The lady who delivered the car was nice
Cons: Pickup/return is typically a slow process outside the USA but this return was excessively slow, they seemed to care very little that I was in a bit of a hurry to catch my flight. Car was old and in poor condition (at 50mph the steering wheel shook so hard I thought my tires were going to fly off the vehicle), insurance cost more then the rental (more than doubling the price I thought I was paying), turns out they only give 100 km per day which they didn't tell me until I returned the car (one trip to the nearest beach put me 125 km over which cost me an extra $40), I returned the car 30 mins late so they tried to charge me a full extra day until I reminded them that I had a one hour grace period, they also tried to tell me that I returned the tank 3/4 full even though I filled the tank literally across the street from the airport (ironically they delivered the car to me with less than a full tank after assuring me it was full). I felt like there were too many instances of them trying to take advantage of me for me to believe it was a coincidence, this seemed more like normal business practice for them. I rented from Budget at the same airport 3 weeks ago and It wasn't great but it was 5x better than Thrifty.
2 Jan 2017
Misrepresentation and poor customer services
Pros: The car I rented was not available. They offered me a smaller car at the same price. They treated me with disrespect and ignored me for considerable amounts of time while trying to solve the problem. Ultimately they told me that the agreed upon price of $180 did not include insurance and that insurance would be an additional $120. I never did get the car, and I would not ever use Thrifty in Guayaquil ever again.
4 Jan 2017
They gave me the run around all day..
Cons: I was due to pick up my rental at 10:00 am... after getting there they tell me that they did not have any vehicles... they said someone should be returning one after 12:pm ...... I called at 12 they said to stop. By at 1 pm I went back to the counter at 1pm so so they can tell me they did not have a vehicle for me....then they said for sure at 6 pm they were going to have a truck...I waited til 7pm lost a day at the beach because they could not provide their services...Horrible Horrible
16 Jan 2017
Cons: At my arrival .they didn't have any car..told they may have next day..nothing!! I was told they will call me when a car be available..they never did..very upset could no get a car..had to over paid at other rental after wait for 4 days
8 Feb 2017
Unsafe and bad service
Cons: I pay full cover and even that they charge me 30 usd more because they say a scratch the car was unsafe and had mechanic problems if you read this pay attention do not rent a car with this company
4 Apr 2017
Cons: They charge us extra for insurance on the pick up . Nothing was mention on the the reservation, while we had covered by Amex.
Also they put a card charge as a security deposit, and they end up charging this and charging us again in the end of the rent.
Now we open investigation.
The car Radio did not work , it was kind of big upset.
27 Dec 2017
Cons: Thrifty makes you get an insurance that costs 25 a day and they put a hold on your credit card of 1500 to 3000 depending on the car.
Pros: Fatima our Avis agent took care everything. Car worked great. Great value. Will use again
7 Jan 2017
Cons: No seat belts in the back seat. Could not use carseat for child.
31 Jan 2017
Avis refused to honor the reservation.
Cons: Avis refused to honor the reservation. This reservation was made in November they had months to contact me if they were dissatisfied. They wanted 1000 times the reserved price. Shocking and offered no compromise. We rented from another agency.
26 Feb 2017
Pros: The SUV was clean and comfortable.
Cons: We had reserved a car for $197.43 and few months prior to the trip and had received an email confirmation two days prior to our trip, however when we landed in Quito we were told at the counter that the price of our car was in fact over $1,300. It was too late to change our plans and book a flight instead of drive, thus we we forced to rent the car for only a few days for around $600 and then figure out public transportation for the rest of our trip.
28 Feb 2017
Rental ended up costing 2 times more than quoted r
Pros: The rental car facility is in the airport.
Cons: Where do I start?
First off, the insurance I purchased via Kayak (Allianz) was absolutely useless. When I explained that I purchased this insurance for an extra $70+ to the gentleman at Avis, he told me that didn't matter. If I did not purchase additional insurance from Avis, my credit card would have a $5,000 hold placed against it in the case of any damage to the car (I only rented a Chevy Spark). Being that this would max out my credit card, I was forced to purchase additional insurance from Avis for another $120, which only placed a $1,200 hold against my card for any damages. The total of the insurance I paid of approx. $200 was equal to the weekly rate I was quoted for the car. I'm glad I had $50k worth of insurance to cover a $10k subcompact.
I also believe there is a billing issue, but I cannot follow the lists of additional expenses I was billed for additional mileage (my fault) vs. the credits I was suppose to receive for a shortened rental period. The statements I received from Avis do not seem to match up to what my credit card was charged.
1 Mar 2017
Good service in English
Pros: Allmost a new car only 16000km.
12 Apr 2017
Cons: When I arrived there the agreement conditions were different. The worst service I ever had.
6 Sep 2017
Cons: complete scam.. prices online are hiding a lot of extra charges
4 Jan 2018
The worst service ever!
Pros: Nothing! They didn’t have the car for me and all that I got was “we don’t have a car and if you want to say something write an email” - the worst service ever!!!!
Cons: Everything! They didn’t have the car, the service was terrible! Please do not rent a car here! The worst experience in my life!
4 Feb 2018
Pros: Kayak offered a good deal
Cons: There was no transparency on price nor on the rules, at the time of pickup the insurance exceeded the daily rental, something that was never disclosed and I was told that when returning, the fuel would be charged at the same price I could find on the street,
Guayaquil airport kiosk closed when we returned th
Pros: The car was clean and ran efficiently for the 2 weeks we had the car. The desk staff was helpful at the airport when they finally arrived. Due to an accident not our fault, the staff was helpful in managing the complaint.
Cons: The desk was closed when we arrived at the airport to return the car. It was difficult at first to reach them.
28 Nov 2017
Pros: Gentleman that explained the features of the vehicle and the security alarm system was courteous and helpful.
Cons: I'll stick to the facts:
1. It took them over 1.5 hours to provide me with a vehicle.
2. I booked an automatic and they didn't have any automatics in hand. (Said people were not returning cars on time - I think it was BS)
3. They discounted me $10 per day for "my troubles" _ WHAT IN THE WORLD COULD I DO IF I DIDN'T ALSO KNOW HOW TO DRIVE A MANUAL TRANSMISSION!
4. My reservation said Chevy Tahoe or similar (I chose the biggest car). I'm sorry to report that a Susuki Gran Vitara provided by Budget is NOT on the same level as a Chevrolet Tahoe. (They said it was the biggest vehicle they had).
5. They couldn't use my Citi Credit Card because it had a chip and the letters/numbers did not jet-out from the card like the old cards. They say the country had not upgraded their credit system, so I guess it wasn't their fault? Except I had no trouble using my c.c. all over the rest of Ecuador... I eneded up using my Chase c.c. which also had a chip, but the letters/numbers did jet out still.
6. Even after I purchased their insurance, which I didn't want to because my Citi c.c. covers it, they still had to take a $1,500 hold on my card... Not a problem for me, but imagine if my secondary card didn't have a high enough limit.
7. I wanted to return to the vehicle earlier and they said it was a 24 hours charge for the day regardless. I said ok, but I get to the airport and the office is close at 7am! I think they come in at 8am? Avis was open.
I don't know if my experience would have been any better at any of the other companies, but my point is I won't be renting from budget any time in the future and would advise other fellow travelers to try Avis or Thifty both opened at 6:00am when I got to the airport.
Worst Experience Ever- Do not rent Hertz in Ecuador- Guayaquil
Cons: 1. Customer Service
2. Didn't honor the reservation booked & to get a car asked for more $ to rent directly even though reservation booked was active
3. Manager would not come out to speak to us
4. Pick-up was hell & drop off wasn't any easier
5. The car looked bad as it seemed to been in 2 accidents on the outside & the inside was dirty. Hadn't been cleaned. Had to take it to get it cleaned just to feel ok in it.
6. The car didn't come with full tank of gas
7. They changed the policies rules upon arrival even though we had a confirmed & active reservation, they said they cancelled it, they received no contact information & to rent a car it was way more money. It was like a scam to rent you a car at higher rate not honor the reservation in system.