The Duckworth offers accommodations in a historic building located on 331 Duckworth Street, one of the 2 major streets in historic downtown St. John's. Nestled in the bustling center of beautiful downtown St. John's and mere minutes stroll to George Street, The Rooms, St. John's Harbour, Signal Hill, art galleries, banks, shopping, business district, boat tours, Mile One Stadium and also the St. John's convention centre. The Duckworth offers :
- 12 very different rooms at competitive prices
- 5 different rate category rooms to appeal to the different travel budgets of our guests. Just check out our Rooms & Reservation to view what each rate category has to offer. Rates are based on room size & whether they share a washroom. For example, our king room would be the largest and would be the most expensive. Our queen rooms with shared washroom would be our cheapest. There is also a choice to book a deluxe queen room with ensuite which has extra space which means a higher rate than the smaller queen with an ensuite which we offer a lower rate due to its size. The choice is yours.
- Due to our small accommodation (12 rooms) we do offer 24 hour service but with only 12 rooms to keep our prices one of the lowest we do not have a front desk. If you need assistance during your stay we can be reached by picking up your room phone and pressing 0 and we will come to you or you can press the intercom located just outside the door and we will assist you.
- As of summer 2015 there will be air conditioning window units installed. Please understand that the window units once installed will mean that windows cannot be opened or closed. As we are located right downtown we have no control over downtown noise of traffic, bars, restaurants, etc. and this should be kept in mind when booking.
- We are located downtown surrounded by restaurants, bars & traffic and therefore there will be downtown noise beyond our control. There is a restaurant & bar located onsite. This should be kept in mind when booking.
- Parking is located right outside with 2 options:
- metered Monday to Friday 8:00am to 6:00pm. Evenings after 6:00pm and weekends are free.
- parking garage across the street
- The building was built in 1892 therefore there are two sets of stairs to main floor. There is no elevator due to the age of the building.
The icebergs are here and there is no better way to see them than at Cape Spear or Signal Hill! Cape Spear Lighthouse is just a 20 minute drive away and there are tours that will pick you up and drop you off at Cape Spear. Signal Hill is just a $10-$15 dollar taxi ride away. Staying with us and doing the local sights doesn't require a car. East Coast Trail is a fabulous hiking trail. Have a taxi drop you off at a starting point and then have them pick you up at the end. Want to experience The Lighthouse Picnic? Rent a car and within 40 minutes you will be able to order your picnic basket and dine on a blanket outside by the sea. This is a not to be missed attraction. Also check out Spirit of Newfoundland while here to experience some of St. John's greatest entertainment dinner theatre style. Newfoundland Chocolate Company is just a 5 minute stroll away where you can experience some of Newfoundland's own chocolate. Filming for the popular television show, Republic of Doyle took place just next door at the Duke of Duckworth.
Our facilities include an established on-site Restaurant, wine bar and Lounge, Magnum & Steins, offering dinner and lounge menus. The menu at Magnum & Steins focuses on local fresh food in addition to our daily specials which include local halibut, cod, lobster and mussels just to name a few along with fresh homemade pasta. The restaurant now boasts a new wine bar where each meal can be perfectly matched with one of our 22 wines by the glass. Sunday to Wednesdays we offer 3 courses from a selection of 5 paired with wine for $55/person. You can check out this offer online at www.magnumandsteins.ca. Private dining facilities are also available for business meetings, weddings, bridal,showers, birthdays, retirement and many other functions. Please check our wesite for operating hours.